Thursday, April 24, 2008

is this a sick joke?

yesterday i went to wal-mart in hopes to find a new brita pitcher (our old brita pitcher of 6 years had seen better days) so i was MORE THAN thrilled to find brita pitchers sitting right at the entrance...ON SALE...with a FREE ($10 value) nalgene water bottle. COOL right!? i guess it's part of a new campaign waterforgood.com to help reduce bottled water waste.


so i take it home and show kevin and tell him we can get another free bottle when we buy filter refills. he said..."do it!"

then this morning as i was putting my new adorable green water bottle in the dishwasher to clean i thought i would take look at the type of plastic it was made of. why? well, not more than a week ago the today show did a special on Bisphenol A (abbreviated BPA) and warned viewers that certain levels of plastic could be toxic because of BPA. and this was still fresh in my mind. so, i flip my bottle over to see the level and to my complete shock it was a level 7! the most toxic kind that should be avoided...at least from what i remembered.

so, i am confused. i read somewhere that nalgene is working on getting all level 7 bottles off the shelf in the next few months. so is this part of their clever plan to move them out quickly without wasting them? let's save the world from bottled water waste but at the same time let's put our health at risk? is this a sick joke? am i missing something here? is my adorable green water bottle safe to drink out of. i do remember the contestants on the biggest loser using these same water bottles. so do i use it or lose it? someone educate me!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha that's really hilarious. Ten points for Nalgene and Wal-Mart for their clever scheme- You totally fell for it. I heard it's harmful if it's used for hot liquids. So use it as a cool water bottle and rest assured that it's relatively less harmful than if you were using it for hot chocolate. Ha!

Brandon and Emily said...

You crack me up! If I were you I would not use it. Don't chance it!

Anonymous said...

Apparently I need to watch The Today Show a bit more. For all I know I could be eating off toxic spoons and out of toxic bowls. Too funny!

Anonymous said...

I've recently heard that you should not drink out of water bottles (disposible ones) that you have left in your car if its hot outside because toxins(that are harmful to women) will leak into the water. I heard that is how Sheryl Crow got cancer. So who knows..... Rosanne

Unknown said...

Now you got me thinking about our own Nalgene bottles that I have been using for 3 years!! That is funny that you caught that little marketing plan.

sjmiller said...

Forgot to add that I don't like using reusable bottles for the whole bacteria issue. We recycle our bottles, and get the money from them, so I feel I do my part on the whole going green. (For some reason, I don't like the brita commercials that say that bottles wind up in landfills. A lot do, but most places around here require recycling. I know we are only one place, and one area, but we are big on recycling.)