Saturday, August 23, 2008

i'd rather be at roaring springs...

i found a sub for nursery, washed the clothes, packed them up, talked the trip up with owen, and packed the car. we were all set to go!

we had been looking forward to our trip to boise, id for months! the plan was to stay with my friend stephanie, spend all of saturday at roaring springs, and then get a babysitter saturday night so the adults could have a date night! it would have been perfect.

when the boys woke up friday morning with runny noses i should have known that a storm was a brewin'. but i didn't want to jinx things. around noon they were both feeling a little warm. so i gave them both tylenol and put them down for their naps. then my nose starts to run. three o'clock...owen wakes up and has an accident in his underwear (the runny kind). this is when i start to get nervous. but, kevin arrives home from work and we load up the car and try to forget about it.

we say a family prayer and start to head for the door and owen exclaims he has to go to the bathroom. it's explosive. we get nervous but, owen wants to get in the car and head to "steph's and joey's". so we gather up all our things and start out the door and...it's owen...again!

i take him to the bathroom and we decide to just sit and relax a few minutes to make sure he's got it out of his system. we wait. looks good. we bolt out the door and make it all the way to the gas station. i call steph and warn her we are running late and that owen has the runs. we fill up our car and head towards the freeway. owen's gotta go again. by this time we are barely passing our apartment (since the gas station is just one block away) so we pull in and kevin takes owen up to the bathroom. by this time my head is pounding, my nose is a faucet, and i have already used almost all of the kleenexes on wesley's poor nose. but, we continue on! we REALLY wanted to go to boise.

about 20 minutes into the ride owen is requesting a bathroom and we beg and plead with him to hold on a few more minutes so we can make it to blackfoot, id (30 minutes from idaho falls). we make it to the flying j and kevin takes owen into the bathroom. i'm starting to feel a little warm myself and the skin around my nose is practically bleeding from all the blowing. kevin and owen return and we sit in the parking lot debating on what to do. i call steph to fill her in and owen starts screaming for the bathroom. kevin takes him into the flying j a second time. they return. we debate. i take owen into the flying j. we debate and kevin decides to go into walmart to find some anti-diarrhea medicine for owen. no luck! by the time he gets back to the car he has to take owen into the bathroom and they don't quite make it! now we've got a situation! i call steph and tell her there is no way we can make the drive at the rate we are going. plus, we would hate to show up sick and the trip not be fun and leave them with the bug. so, we drive over to my brother's house (who lives in blackfoot) and clean owen up. we end up spending most of the evening at their house eating taco time and playing wii fit in between the SEVERAL bathroom runs. by the end of the night i am experiencing a full-on head cold! so glad we decided not to make the drive. we made it home with no accidents and put the boys to bed (wesley required a little benadryl) and settled in for a LONG night! the boys actually slept through the entire night but i was awake every three hours with a crackling head, one runny nostril, one stuffed nostril, itchy eyes, and a sore throat! NO FUN!

i am still in my pj's at 11am and have no desire to get dressed, but...the boys are doing GREAT!



i would rather be at roaring springs!



Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

The Manwaring Family said...

That stinks BIG TIME!!! Maybe next weekend...before it gets cold on you!

Steph said...

I think Ben is right maybe next weekend!!! I am so sad that you are not feeling well. I think staying in your pj's all day is the way to go. We miss you and hope you can come and visit soon. Get better.

Anonymous said...

Great picture! What a bummer. It's no fun to be sick when it's trip time. Hope you're all feeling better soon.

Manwaring Family said...

You gave it a good effort - hope everyone is feeling better soon!

Miki said...

We're sick too!!!! Goodness sakes I say! As a matter of fact, just before I typed this to you, I blew my nose at least five times. I have a huge head cold. We just got back from the pediatrician's office (I was worried about something else for Megan) and he said, "yep, you're all sick..."

I'm so glad we didn't have to deal with the darn fluidity you had to deal with. You really wanted to go! I wouldn't have made it past the second trip to the bathroom. You're so funny. Sorry about Roaring Springs. That would have made for a great weekend...bummer...

Miki said...

We're sick too!!!! Goodness sakes I say! As a matter of fact, just before I typed this to you, I blew my nose at least five times. I have a huge head cold. We just got back from the pediatrician's office (I was worried about something else for Megan) and he said, "yep, you're all sick..."

I'm so glad we didn't have to deal with the darn fluidity you had to deal with. You really wanted to go! I wouldn't have made it past the second trip to the bathroom. You're so funny. Sorry about Roaring Springs. That would have made for a great weekend...bummer...

Elise said...

Boo! I hate being sick, especially when it ruins fun plans. Blah. At least your jammies are cute!

JandK Manwaring Family said...

Oh,man! I feel so bad for you! I hate missing fun things, too. Especially Roaring Springs! Hopefully next time will meet all your expectations.