Sunday, January 20, 2008

Overcoming separation anxiety, first steps, and fear of baths

Since we moved to Idaho Falls and lost our favorite baby sitter EVER we haven't really been able to leave Owen without him having a nervous break-down.

EXAMPLE: On New Year's Eve I had to leave the movie early because Owen wouldn't stop crying and the baby sitter didn't know what to do.

Well, last night we were able to go to Outback Steakhouse with a few of my siblings and their spouses (with Wesley in tow...but he is so well-mannered at restaurants that it's no big deal) and an enjoy a delicious meal without any phone calls and Owen was completely content when we returned. Thanks Alyssa! AND Owen is attending Nursery without any parental supervision. Life is good!



After dinner we had to get in a few rounds of Guitar Hero before we headed back to our place. Owen has been talking about playing since the last time we played a couple weeks ago. Almost daily he will ask, "Can we go rock and roll at Carter's?".



Wesley is starting to stand all by himself and actually took a couple steps yesterday. We can't believe how quickly he is picking up on things. It sure keeps life exciting when you have a family member learning new tricks every day!


And, lastly I need some advice. When Owen had diarrhea the first of the month he had an accident in the bath tub, and since then will not take a bath willingly. This is coming from a kid who LOVED to play in the tub. Now when he hears the bath water running he starts to cry, complains that his stomach hurts, and hides. When I finally get him in the tub he refuses to sit down and screams (and he has some pretty good lungs on him) the entire time while he holds his boy parts. What should I do to help him like baths again? Poor kid is tramatized every time I bathe him...and I am sure our neighbors downstairs think that I mark in my schedule to beat my kid senseless every other day at 8am.

Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

HILARiOUS!! Owen....life just wouldn't be the same without him. Here's a few things I would try, but don't promise they'll work. First, I'd bathe with him. Second, I'd buy a new cool water toy. And third, bring him over and let him bathe with Carter. :) Let me know if anything works.

Elena said...

By saying "I'D bathe with him" I meant you. LOL! Don't need another neice or nephew scarred in the family.

Unknown said...

There is some exciting stuff going on at your house! haha, I too was going to suggest the new bath toy idea, or a sticker on the bath chart for every bath he takes to get the motivation going. Maybe play music while he takes a bath...and my last idea is let him help get the bath ready, water on, bubbles, toys, soaps etc. Good luck with this Becky! :)

The Manwarings said...

First of all, thanks for the invite to dinner. Second, I would try letting him shower. Ogden loves to run around in the shower. You might also try putting him on the toilet before he takes his bath. Then he might feel like he got it all out of him before he gets in the water.

Jen said...

Oh Becky! I am so sorry. That hasn't happened in our house, so I don't know what to tell you, but I just wanted to wish you good luck! Your boys are SO CUTE!

Kari said...

Hi Becky! Loving it, I can relate to losing a fav. babysitter. It's so hard to move on! Oh, by-the-way, I just tagged you...so you're it! Check out my blog. Love ya, Kari

Staci said...

please don't forget that your kids have an aunt who doesn't live too far away that is more then willing to come and babysit for free!!

Anonymous said...

just wait till he sticks so bad he can't stand himself and he will get in...haha

MikeG Family said...

Poor kid! It's so hard when something they're used to doing gets thrown off course! I would've suggested trying a shower, or a new toy in the bath - like those colored soaps that they can color on the tub with, but others have already suggested them. Good luck with it!

Elise said...

Sweet little Owen! Poor guy with the bath-- it looks like you've got some good advice, though. Hopefully it all works out okay!

I'm excited to see you this weekend!!