Tuesday, September 08, 2009

"THE" blessing outfit


my baby girl, madalyn, was given a name and blessing this past sunday by kevin at our church. i always love these events...especially when they are for my baby.

because madalyn is my first baby girl i really hadn't paid attention to the tradition my grandmother,mom, and sisters had concerning "THE" blessing outfit. but, as i was talking to them all about finding a blessing dress a month or so ago i was REMINDED of "THE" blessing outfit. i really don't know why i hadn't paid attention to this before in the past...but, they had my attention now.

for my mother's blessing day she was given little booties that were crocheted by her grandmother, kathryn harding. they are the most delicate and beautiful little booties i have ever seen. my mom put these booties on each of her five daughters on their blessing day as well. AND my sister, katie, (the only sister to have little girls..besides me now) put these little booties on all five of her daughters on their blessing day. so, as tradition goes (TRA-DI-TION...TRADITION!...and i love tradition) i put my little madalyn in these booties on her blessing day.



when my mom had her first baby, katie, she went out and bought a beautiful blessing outfit for her to be blessed in. knowing that she would be using it for all her daughters (but, i am sure she didn't realize this would be FIVE) she paid quite a bit of money for it and freaked my dad right out! she told me she paid $35 for this dress, which back then was what they were paying for rent each month.
now, dad. isn't that the best $35 you have ever spent? all five of us daughters were blessed in this outfit. katie's five daughters were blessed in this outfit. and...madalyn was blessed in this outfit.


the slip



the dress


the bonnet (which was a little snug on my madalyn's head)
and now, as tradition goes, i have wrapped these priceless items in their blue tissue paper and placed them in their blue box so they are ready for the next little princess.

Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Lisa said...

what a neat tradition! i wish my side of the family had a tradition like that.

Elena said...

These are GORGEOUS pictures!!! And I'm so glad to get to see her in THE outfit, since I somehow managed to miss it on Sunday.

Anna said...

Ohhhh Becky,
I'm happy that you wanted to use the dress. Madalyn looked so beautiful in it. The tradition lives on! Mom

The Manwaring Family said...

It is a beautiful dress and you got some great pictures! I love the first one of Madalyn in her bonnet. The black and white sets it off!

Unknown said...

That is a special tradition and absolutely gorgeous blessing outfit. I love how simple yet delicate it is, and those booties are precious. Oh I love traditions. Congratulations on a beautiful blessing.

Lisa said...

How gorgeous!! I love it!! Kirk's blessing outfit had a history like that too, but Sara's started her own tradition. :)

ckm said...

That is so sweet ... and to have this handed down and the story passed on as well! Thanks for sharing!

Amber said...

That is really neat! It makes me want a girl.