Tuesday, March 10, 2009

wanted: a pediatrician

wanted: a pediatrician
*with a friendly staff
*and one who won't send his nurse in to ask what is wrong with the kids and then come in and ask the same questions (why do we have to answer these twice)
*one who will walk/talk me through what he is checking and seeing
*one who won't ask me if i have any questions and then act like my questions are a waste of his time
is this too much to ask? i had the GREATEST pediatricians in pocatello (yost & yost). this was my first experience with pediatricians so i kind of compare everyone to them and everyone fails MISERABLY! in the nearly two years we have lived in idaho falls i have yet to find one i like.
i had to take both my boys in today and was LESS THAN impressed with the doc i saw. his nurse came in and asked me what was wrong with my boys so i tell her everything. she leaves. the doc comes in and asks the same thing. what is the point of this...really? i don't get it at all. so, with two very irritated little boys i have to tell the story over again. all of this happens as he makes no eye contact while sitting WAY across the room at a table.
so, then he comes over to examine the boys. he looks in their eyes, mouth, ears, and listens to their chest and back without speaking a single word. he rolls in his chair back over to his table and writes out a prescription, hands it to me and says "any questions?". umm...yeah!
me: so, what do you think?
doc: about what?
me: what do you think is wrong with them?
doc: ear infections.
me: what can i do for owen's coughing?
doc: nothing.
so glad i asked.
somebody help me. i really want to find a good pediatrician before i have this new baby. if you live in idaho falls let me know who you prefer and i will love you forever (unless you suggest the doc i just saw...(;)

14 comments:

Amber said...

Becky,

I have seen Dr. Scott Smith at Idaho Falls Pediatrics for the last two years. I really like him. His nurse does ask what is wrong first but just basic questions. I never felt rushed with him and he is really good and patient with my boys. We moved here from Utah and I was worried about finding a good doctor because out twins were born 10 week premature and I wanted someone who could handle their situation. My family asked around before I moved here and Dr. Smith was recommended by a lot of people including other physicians. I would also highly recommend him!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Dr. Bradford Hatch at The Pediatric Center. He is really good at answering questions and making you feel like he cares about you and your kids.

Jen said...

I took Kennedy to see Dr. Pettit at the Idaho Falls Pediatrics office by EIRMC. I really liked him, I just hated driving to Idaho Falls. We need a good dr. too!!!!

Rachel and Nathan Fisher said...

We have a GREAT doctor ... here in New Hampshire :)

Good luck!

Unknown said...

I feel your pain, but with a dentist! I loved our Rexburg dentist and haven't found one here in Texas. However, I do love our ped. I picked her out online from preferred ped. (she had a website too). So I read up about her and her practice, and I love her. Good luck, everyone needs a great dr. who takes the time to visit and knows what to do.

Kristy said...

Let me know what you find out! I have heard that Dr. Groberg and Dr. Moore are good. My sisters use Dr. Moore. I went there once and was not scared away, but nothing to impressing yet. I LOVED my Dr. in Boise and all I can do is compare! So, I am curious what you hear!!

Stephanie said...

Sorry I can't recommend a good pediatrician since I've never had to take the girls to one in I.F., but I do know the feeling of looking for a good one. We had a good one in Logan that I loved, but I'm just not quite satisfied with the new one that we just took Marissa to. Ugh! I hope you find one that works, especially with the new baby coming. Good luck!

Elena said...

Oh dear....Tell me this wasn't MY doctor...I love him. But then again, he's a personal friend and neighbor. I'm sorry you had a bad experience. FYI, I'm NOT in love with his nurse, AT ALL. Enough said. Hope the boys feel better. We get to go tomorrow for kindergarten shots. Any one up for ice cream afterwards? ;)

Steph said...

First who was the doctor? Dr. Wally Baker is a really good doctor he is across from where Diane lives on John Adams. I only went there once but I thought he was good.

SueAnn said...

I have taken my girls to Wally Baker and I LOVE him!! He and his office are fantastic!! I really like that he tells you what the books say you should do but is a practical parent as well.

The Andrus Family said...

We go to Dr. Moore at Idaho Falls Pediatrics and have really liked him! He knows my kids by name and will sit and listen to any and every concern. He has also checked up on the previous concerns at later appoitments. He's also a smart guy-- he's been very aware of all of Mike's weird blood related problems. Any doctor who knows that wins an A+ in my book! Good luck and we need to get together soon!!

Elise said...

Oh, I just want to hug you! I have had a weird experience with Logan doctors-- for me, not my kids-- and I know all too well how frustrating it is! I hope you find a good one soon!

Nick and Lisa said...

Yost and Yost set a pretty hard act to follow didn't they! I love those docs. and miss them dearly! Good luck in your search, wish i could help!

Anonymous said...

I have always had good luck with dentists and medical practitioners in Rexburg. Especially would recommend my Rexburg dentist He is located right next to BYUI.