Monday, May 19, 2008

working my...you know what...off

you fill in the blank...and i am sure that is a spot on my body i need to minimize. so, with this awesome spring we are having i have started "running" at 6:30AM around the greenbelt with my sisters (emily, natalie, and kaylin). more like a speed walk that looks like a jog...but, i am working on it. i am actually really liking it. i have NEVER been a person who likes to do anything faster than a walk so me enjoying this is a big deal.

then last week i convinced kevin to pull my bike out of storage and the boys and i have been having so much fun riding around idaho falls with our bike trailer. since thursday i have already logged roughly 20 miles! if any of you know a way to track my miles on my blog let me know. i think it would be fun to see how far we went this summer. elise-it seemed like on your blog awhile ago you were tracking how far you had run....do they do that for biking?


so, this morning when i went on my "run" something around my knee area was killing me. no fun! i came home and scheduled an evaluation with my own personal physical therapist (don't let me fool you though...he is tough to get into. he is busy studying for his licensing exam in june). and the verdict is...pes anserine bursitis. basically, in terms i understand, the little pad of fluid between my knee bone and tendons is inflamed on both legs.

doctor's order: take it easy for a couple days, better stretching before and after i exercise (holding each stretch for at least 30 seconds...otherwise, it does no good. i learn something new every day), anti-inflammatory, and ice.


how fun is that! and it didn't even cost me a penny (actually it cost WAY too much to put him through school, but you know what i mean).

6 comments:

The Manwaring Family said...

Ohhhh NO!!! That really stinks!! We will miss you, but I guess you have to follow doctors orders! ;) I wonder if I have something weird going on, too? I had to walk most of Friday because my knee was hurting???

Anonymous said...

Look at all of you nut jobs hitting it too hard!! Be careful!! And yes, you have been working your.....off. We need to go on a ride. (When you're better of course.)

Elise said...

How FUN!!! When I was posting my miles, I just found a picture and edited it myself, but I am positive there is some kind of widget out there. So, does this mean you *might* be game for a 5K at Thanksgiving? It's 3.14 miles-- that's only a time and a half around the river! By then I'm sure I'll need to get all sorts of chubbiness off of my A!!

Be careful!!

Unknown said...

You are awesome!! Keep up the fun exercises, I think biking and others things like that are way more fun than working out in a gym. Also I know you can track your miles at mapmyride.com I don't know how you can put that to your blog except add the link. David uses it for his biking all the time. It is pretty cool!

sjmiller said...

Yay on getting active! (I need to get active again!)

Yay on the cycling!!

Boo on teh bursitis! No fun! Hope it feels better soon!

Yay on not having to pay to get it evaluated, and it's someone you love an trust! Even better!

Jonathan & Rachel said...

Good for you!! I hate to tell you this, but when I started excersising-the only time I really every enjoyed it also-I got bursitis. It was the worse pain and I couldn't do ANYTHING for like 6 weeks-it was horrible. Hopefully you'll have better luck and it will go away VERY quickly! I'll be excited to follow your cycling log!