Monday, May 26, 2008

the eve of memorial day



i LOVE memorial day! there is just something about seeing family gathered around the grave site of a loved one that tugs at my heart strings. and i love that we have a holiday were EVERYONE beautifies the headstones and remembers family that has passed on.

sunday evening we joined my grandma manwaring, my parents, and some siblings to go visit and beautify the grave sites of my grandpa and other family members on my dad's side. we stopped at three different cemeteries between idaho falls and blackfoot.

we remembered:

holley a. manwaring-my grandpa. when i think of grandpa i remember how he ALWAYS whistled while he worked. and if he had a motto i believe it would have been "slow and steady gets the job done"! i loved him and we miss him.

ron and sheila gardner-my dad's oldest sibling and her husband ron. together they had TWELVE children.

james basil and edna manwaring-my grandpa's brother and his spouse. i love the name basil!

herbert and clarissa manwaring-my grandpa's grandparents. herbert was the pioneer on the manwaring side who joined the church of jesus christ of latter-day saints while living in england. at the age of seventeen he traveled to salt lake city by himself promising to send money later to bring the rest of his family. once in salt lake city he asked the prophet brigham young if he would please pay to bring his mother, father, and brothers to salt lake. brigham young provided the funds to herbert under the condition that he would repay (the perpetual immigration fund is what the church called it) and he brought his family to slc. one of his brothers that he brought over was george manwaring-who wrote several hymns...one of which was joseph smiths first prayer. another very cool thing about herbert is that his son, hyrum manwaring, played a significant role at ricks college and the college named the manwaring center after him. i am proud of my heritage and the inspiration that herbert had AND FOLLOWED to make that trek from england to slc by himself! what a legacy he left behind!

emma teresa holley manwaring-my grandpa's mother.

arthur manwaring-my grandpa's father, herbert manwaring's son.

raymond johnson-my dad's nephew who passed away at the age of 7...car accident.

george w. and betsy o. capson-my grandma manwaring's parents.

clara ann capson-my grandma's baby sister who passed away at the age of 7 on christmas eve. she had scarlet fever and it took her quickly. grandma told us that the night before she passed away she was telling my grandma that she was not afraid to die because heavenly father would take good care of her. what a brave little girl!



wesley-enjoying all the beautiful green grass at the cemeteries. one reason we are thankful for all the rain!



kevin trying to keep wesley warm. by the time we got to blackfoot it had REALLY cooled off!



owen-enjoying all the trinkets people left at different grave sites.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a nice tribute to everyone. It is good to have a day to really think about our ancestors and family we loved.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your Memorial Day posts. Thank you for remembering these special people whose character traits we share. Love Dad

Elise said...

I think it's so great that you wrote these memories down. We need to do that here-- it's such a great idea. Owen looks so sweet at those grave sites!

Josh & Joni said...

What a thoughtful, wonderful post!