Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Camping with the Hansen's

We spent this last weekend of summer camping with Elise, Chis, Thomas, and Gordon in Logan, UT. We set up camp about 5 miles into Logan Canyon. Elise picked out a great spot with lots of shade and our own little marsh behind us. We all had a very enjoyable time eating and chatting the night away.

But the fun really began when we were all awakened at 2:30am by our trashbag falling to the ground and lots of (2) squealing raccoons. Anyone who knows how easily excited I get (especially while camping) knows how this could throw me over the edge. But, not more than an hour later the raccoons were joined by something MUCH larger. I swear that it grunted, growled, smashed pop cans, and even freaked out the raccoons. It roamed around and jumped in and out of the swamp long enough when I finally convinced Kevin to join me in a mad dash to our car (our only weapon being a flashlight). We never discovered what was in our camp that night (I honestly think that after watching me bolt out of our tent and dive into the car it had sufficient entertainment for the evening), but I slept peacefully in the car for the remainder of the night. It certainly "freaked our freak" (as Ellen DeGeneres would say)! Thank goodness for daylight!


Becky and Elise

The brave little campers.
Becky, Kevin, and Owen

Owen after eating something covered in dirt.

Gordon, Thomas and Owen playing in Elise's trunk.

 Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Owen is so cute even with dirt in his mouth

Elena said...

OOH! Sounds very exiting! I can only imagine how scared our little Becky was. I think I would have paid money to see the dash to the car!!! Cute pictures. I love the ones of Owen in the water.

Nick & Lisa Perrenoud said...

Becky, it was probably bigfoot. I have heard they have been spotted around those parts.