Tuesday, March 11, 2008

now we can laugh

our little owen. always keeping things exciting.

here is how it all began this afternoon. owen comes running up to me and our conversation goes something like this.

owen: "fix it mommy!"
me: "fix what?"
owen: "it hurts!" (as he is pointing to his right nostril)

i proceeded to look inside his nose and find a d60 battery stuffed up his nostril. anyone who knows me well knows that i do not stay calm during stressful circumstances, and this time was no exception. although, i did really TRY to have some composure this time...for owen's sake.

i run to my room and grab my tweezers and proceed to try to remove the "foreign body" (as the doctor's later referred to it) but had no success. owen was squirming all over the place and it was only pushing the battery further up. then i try to get owen to blow his nose but that was no good because he has never been very good at blowing snot out his nose let alone a little round battery.

i call elena, my sister-in-law, for some advice and she suggests that i try to get owen to blow a candle out with this nose. at this point, owen is becoming more and more anxious (no thanks to me) and so when i pull the matches out and strike it owen is screaming "no fire, no fire" because he's afraid his lunatic mother is going to light his nose on fire.

two hours later and after a stop at a community care, my pediatrician's office, and kevin's "work", we find ourselves (kevin in tow) in the e.r. and owen is getting the battery removed with something that looked like an amniohook (a hook normally used to break your water when you are having a baby).
luckily the procedure only took 10 seconds and after owen was able to take a few deep breaths he looked at the doctor and said, "doctor, thank you for taking my nose out." the doctor was pleased with owen's politeness and offered him a little blue teddy bear and four suckers.



owen talked to and thanked each person in the e.r. room, referring to them all as "doctor".
"doctor, i want to go home now."
"doctor, i want to go home and eat my lunch and take my nap."
"doctor, thank you!"

he had them all wrapped around his finger by the time we left and they were all waving good-bye to him and waiting to hear his cute little responses.



so, now that we are home and the boys are in bed we can laugh about today's adventure and hope it doesn't happen again.

last saturday i had decided that i was giving up dr. pepper...but, that will have to start another day (...slurp...slurp)!
Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's even funnier when I read it! :) I forgot to tell you that last week Kate was complaining that her throat hurt, and I couldn't find a stinkin' flashlight to look in it. So I just grabbed the lighter and lit it up, but when Kate saw the flame she freaked that I was going to burn her. So I gave up on that light source. Later Kate said, "I need a fire." Great, now I've created a pyro-maniac. Hope we didn't do the same to Owen! Hope that DP tasted GREAT!

Anonymous said...

P.S. I think your music is a perfect fit for this post. :)

Anonymous said...

You survived another day as a mother. I still remember the day when Justin had a bean seed lodged in his nose! Mom

Lisa said...

Becky, I don't know where I've been to miss all these blogs - but it's great to see them! I laughed so hard at your battery story! (I laugh now, but wait, I'm sure that Kirk will do something like that. . .). Hope things are going well!

Steph said...

Wow, what a day! The joys of being a mother.

sjmiller said...

Oh boy, forgive me for chuckling at this post! Owen is a crack up! Glad he got his nose taken out!

I'm in the same boat as you with the Dr. P. Nick just keeps buying it. Grrr. If it's in the house, it's free game! If not, I don't think about it. (Or drink it.)

Unknown said...

What a day! Kids do and say the silliest things and I love that you share them. Owen is brave! And don't sweat the Dr Pepper craze, it goes on at our house often, we are in the weaning phase but there are days you just need it! haha

Jonathan & Rachel said...

OH dear!! Such a classic story. I'm glad it's all better now-what a funny little boy!

The Manwaring Family said...

Soooo funny! Loved the story!

Brandon and Emily said...

That is hilarious!!! I can just picture you trying to stay calm but totally flipping out inside. I am glad that the battery is out and everything is ok. Plus you were just asking for it when you thought you should quit Dr. Pepper. That stuff can be a life saver!

The Manwarings said...

Oh, Owen. How hilarious. Ogden did the same thing last year with a polly pocket toy. We tried for 8hours to get it out before we finally headed to urgent care before they closed. The stinky part was, the whole 2 minutes it took to get out cost a lot more than a regular doctor visit. Bring on the DP!

Elise said...

Becky! This is SO funny! I am sure you were panicking-- I would have been too!-- but at least you have a funny story to tell. I especially loved "Doctor, thank you for taking my nose out"-- so CUTE! Ah, little Owen! This is definitely one for the memory books!